Monday, March 18, 2013

Telling My Story

Right now, it's late. I really have a difficult time composing my thoughts and writing a sensible sentence. However, telling the story of my journey these last  8 months or so is always invigorating. It always seems to bring life back into me.
I feel that when telling people, it inspires them as well as re-inspires me. This only makes me want to shout it more. There is no doubt in my mind I am a different person. AND I can see myself growing on a regular basis. Sometimes it happens in one day and other times it's a few days but I can see the passion and growth continue to inspire me.
A good friend of mine asked me a question about my therapist. She has a friend who lives in another country and was seeing a therapist and felt great strides in personal development. However, after not seeing her therapist in a while and not having access to that same therapist, she felt that she had reverted back to that same person.
I can 100 percent assure you that I will never go back to that old John. If something were to happen to my therapist, would it be tragic? Yes. However, I will never go back. The reason is because I was the one who made these strides. Did my therapist help? Absolutely. There were many issues I had that quite possibly I would have never seen; but my therapist didn't tell me, he helped me discover them. Fortunately, he is smart enough to know that. Was he able to point me in the right direction? That is clearly true. But just as you can lead a horse to water, you can't make it drink. In this same way, I had to see it for myself. Receiving validation from a trained professional is certainly quite helpful but no amount of therapy or should I say no amount of talk from a therapist can make me feel as good about myself as I have come to discover.
I actually see myself differently in the mirror. Before I used to say that I was just average and what is it that people see in this face? Now, I can believe that I am handsome and am thankful for that and do not take that for granted. (okay, I have to admit that I will try and use it to my advantage).
Finally, I know that in the very near future, I will be able to inspire others, continue to inspire myself and get paid for it as my profession. The perfect job.

No comments:

Post a Comment