Sunday, February 3, 2013

A Poem

On Saturday, I spent the day at Mount Charleston which - believe it or not - is a ski resort outside of Las Vegas. I went there to reflect on my life and some issues I have been discussing with my therapist. Having the whole day by yourself can be nearly difficult to deal with, just simply you and your thoughts. While I was there, I wrote a poem that reflected one of my big struggles. The poem is below. It usually takes me a while to write a poem of this length but the inspiration was well overdue and the final outcome helped me sort things through. I would like your comments: The tree I am talking about is at the bottom.

The Mountain
I took a glance at this lonely tree
And when I looked closely, what did I see?
Its bark had withered, its branches the same
But it still grew tall because it had no shame

What did it do to be shameful about?
It caused no harm nor created any doubt
Its purpose in life was clearly to be
Simply one thing; a beautiful tree

It stood there proudly on the cold mountain top
Without ever wondering if anything would make it stop
For how long it was there I had no way to know
And for how long, it would continue to grow
As long as it had purpose in life to be
And I felt at that moment, the same as the tree

There’s no reason (at all) to continue with shame
I wasn’t born in this world with doubt or blame
Somewhere in my journey, I learned how to add
Blame, guilt, sabotage and that I was bad

After these long years of blame and self-doubt
Now is the time to realize I can live, truly live without
All of these notions I’m not worthy enough
That hinder my way and make my journey tough

So the time is now to look at myself plainly
And realize I’m worthy to live life more sainly
Get out from the past, move forward right now
Put away all blame with a solemn vow

I choose from this day that when I do have a choice
I will take the step and speak with stern voice
And not let others or circumstanced provide
The answers to life which I will now decide

When guilt or shame tries to rear its ugly head
I will dismiss it quite firmly as though it were dead
I am worthy of great things to come
I will gladly accept wherever they’re from
What life has to give me and what’s still in store
I am now worthy and open for more

For the last time I gaze at that tree
Wondering now what life has for me
With a tear in my eye and a big smile on my face
I will live to my fullest touched by the tree’s grace

No comments:

Post a Comment