Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Healing Process

After my trip on Saturday to Mt. Charleston, I did not want to wait long to share the experience with my therapist. My meeting was on Monday.
We talked about the experience and some difficulties I had the day before and after about 15 minutes, I asked him, Why is it important to see where all of the shame comes from?
Before I answer that, I want to share one thought first. I have been to two therapists and my first experience was not very good. However, my second one seems to me, miraculous. So when things open up for me, is he just really good, lucky or a little bit of both? Here's why.
He didn't answer my question directly. What he did was ask me questions about the shame and hurt. Questions were asked about particular instances (which I will go over in another post) and how that made me feel. My answers soon became louder and I was agitated. Especially when I saw how limiting they were to me, who I was and my possibilities.
My question was answered alright. But I had to "experience" the answer, as it were, rather than have it be explained. It certainly was much more effective. My conclusion was this: if one has a sore or cut on the leg but does not know that it's there, proper treatment won't be applied. The sore continues to get worse. Once it is discovered, treatment can be applied so it can begin to heal.
My healing process definitely started before last Monday and now I can understand why I need to see where and what was the basis of all this hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment