Sunday, February 17, 2013

Rage against the injustice

Let's face it. We all get angry at times and during that time of anger, we don't question being angry. Our emotions take over and anger is displayed. Right now, I don't want to talk about the different levels of HOW they are displayed, I want to talk about what happens when the anger is over. Many don't like the fact that we get angry. It shows a side of ourselves that can be ugly and one we don't like showing.
I for one, am not so sure that should be the case.
Strange, isn't it? We are taught that showing anger is not good behavior. It shows things about us that we don't want shown. However, I think that is a good thing. I think there are MANY things in our lives that we don't want shown and we don't want to visit them. I had this same experience.
When I wrote the poem - displayed a few posts back - I was up at Mt. Charleston doing a lot of soul searching and introspection. One of the things my therapist asked me to do was to  revisit my childhood and go back think about some of these times when I was made to feel shameful. It was hard for me to remember MANY occasions when this occurred. But I didn't want to spend a lot of time thinking about them. They weren't happy times and I thought I had worked past them. In the session following my trip to the mountain, I asked my therapist why it was important to visit these events. Can't I just see them for what they were then accept the fact that there is nothing I can do about them now and as I said in my poem, just "dismiss them"?
What transpired next was very interesting. My therapist began asking me questions.  I told him a story about an event that happened in the summer before ninth grade. This particular event, I feel, ruined any chances for me to be a leader in high school. (This may sound odd that one event could do that but I will need to explain that in several posts which will happen in the future.) As I told the story, I got louder and louder and there was definitely anger in my voice. When I finished, my therapist pointed out to me how angry I was and that was important. Growing up, I was not able to express my anger at any injustice. I was not even able to express anything that I felt was wrong. I was taught that suppressing it was right. However, along with that came confusion because when you think you are doing the right thing but then you get punished for doing it, what else can happen but confusion?
So why is this anger good? It shows a side of me that I don't like seeing. How could that be good? We will tackle that in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment